Statement of Purpose is required for both visa and university applications. It is a personal statement highlighting a student's grades, experiences, and achievements. SOP for Australian Student Visa is required as proof of Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) and plays a major role in determining whether an international student will be accepted for admission. It helps in establishing the merit of students in the eyes of the decision committee. Hence, it is extremely important to write a good SOP to get admission to desired course and university.
Universities of Australia rarely ask for an SOP. Even if they do, it is usually in the form of short essays. They are majorly required for admission to business, arts, and education programs. SOP for Australia should be more objective and based on facts rather than telling a story. This doesn’t mean that students should turn a blind eye and write monotonous information. Popular Australian universities receive a thousand applications every year. Thus, SOPs should be engaging enough to keep the admission committee hooked till the end.
How is SOP for Australia Different?
One of the major differences between SOP for Australia and other countries like Canada, UK, etc is that it emphasizes more on presenting evidence and facts. However, other countries expect good story-telling or narrative.
The difference between SOP for Australian universities and other popular study abroad destinations are listed below:
- In countries like Canada and USA, SOP is required for both bachelor's and graduate programs whereas, in Australia, it is required only for business, arts, and education programs.
- SOP for student visas is more important in Australia, unlike the USA, where the SOP for masters program plays a more pertinent role.
- A written SOP is required in Australia whereas a video essay is also required for admission to some universities in Canada.
- SOPs of Australia is more structured as compared to other countries such as Canada, the USA, etc.
SOP for Australia Student Visa Guidelines
Statement of Purpose is required while applying for the Australian visa subclass 500 as an integral part of Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE). This serves as proof that a student intends to stay in the country only for the duration of the study.
SOP for Australia Student Visa plays an important role in visa acceptance or denial. Applicants are called for an interview majorly based on this letter.
How to Write Student Visa SOP for Australia?
- Maximum limit is 3 pages
- Written by the student (not by agent or family members)
- English level in letter should match the student's proficiency in language
- Every claim or information mentioned in the statement must be supported by documents.
Now that you have a gist of the structural guidelines for SOP for the Australian student visa, let’s discuss the prompts and content of your statement of purpose.
Topics to be covered in Student Visa SOP for Australia
- Reason for Studying in Australia: Students should explain why they choose Australia over their home country or any other country. This includes information on how institutions and curriculum in this country is better than in other countries.
- Economic Circumstances: SOP must establish your ability to support yourself financially while studying in Australia. It should include the following information:
- Number of family members or dependants
- Employment details of family
- Family income
- Your assets and liabilities such as properties, vehicles, mortgages, etc.
- Details about Course:
- Include information about all courses you are intending to study in the SOP for Australia
- Write about course curriculum, duration, etc.
- Explain the reason for choosing these courses, their relevance to your academic or professional background, and future.
- If the course you have chosen is different from your background, explain the reason for the change in career path.
- Details about University: Mention the universities to which you have applied and explain the reason for choosing these universities of Australia. If your admission is accepted in more than one university, describe which university you will select and why.
- Gap in Study or Work:
- Required only if the gap is longer than 6 months
- Explain the reason for the gap year(s)
- Attach documents supporting the reason
- Future Goals: You should demonstrate how studying a particular course in Australia will help in fulfilling your career goals. Focus mainly on the points mentioned below:
- Career prospects after graduation
- Current salary offered by organizations for related job roles
- Business plan if planning to start a business after the study
- History of Travel: If you have traveled to Australia or any other country before, mention it in the SOP. Also, include details on visa applications submitted before along with reasons for acceptance or denial.
SOP for Australia: Guidelines for Top Universities
Statement of Purpose is required in only some of the Australian universities. Out of the top 15 universities, as per QS Ranking 2020, only 4 have SOP as an admission requirement. Details about the same are provided below:
SOP for University of Melbourne
- Word limit is 500 to 600 words
- Required by Melbourne Business School and Faculty of Arts
- Details like work experience, extra-curricular activities, achievements, etc should be included
SOP for University of New South Wales (UNSW) Sydney
- Required for preparatory courses of Arts & Science, Engineering, Business and Science at UNSW
- SOP for Australia must be divided into the following categories:
- Achievements in high school: 2500 characters
- Reasons for applying to a program: 1000 characters
- How Prep program will help in preparing for degree program: 1000 characters
SOP for University of Wollongong
- Required for education courses at University of Wollongong
- Following questions must be answered in 250 words:
- Why is teaching a good career choice for you and what was the inspiration for becoming a teacher?
- Mention any leadership, community or learning and development activity you have been involved in.
- Explain your time management while planning activities along with your personal life.
- Describe any instance where you utilized your problem-solving skills.
SOP for Macquarie University
- Required for Bachelor of Education program of Macquire University
- Answer to following topics in SOP for Australia within 750 words:
- What was the inspiration behind choosing teaching as a career?
- How will you communicate effectively with people of different age groups?
- Outline your skills that will be useful in teaching.
- What role does education play in society?
Some universities have a section in the application form where students have to write a Statement of Purpose within 5 to 6 lines. In this case, you just have to mention the objective behind choosing a program.
SOP for Australia should be written in English from the point of view of a student only even if the application is submitted by an agent. Visa SOP has more weightage than that of universities and should be given more attention.
Sample Statement of Purpose for Australia
To download the Sample SOP for Australia as PDF, Click here
Ques. How do I write an SOP for Australian university?
Ans. To write an impressive statement of purpose for Australian university, you must follow the 5 steps mentioned below:
- Plan and note down everything that you want to incorporate into your essay.
- Write a rough draft of the introduction. A good introduction is non-negotiable.
- Ensure that your SOP talks about essential aspect while maintaining a proper flow of language.
- Read your entire essay once and then work on the conclusion.
- Ask your academic counsellors and/or peers for feedback.
Ques. Is the statement of purpose required for Australian student visa?
Ans. Yes, the Australian immigration committee requires international students to submit an SOP for an Australian student visa. It is an essential part of the process, so much so that your visa can get accepted and rejected on the basis of this. Candidates are called for visa interview post evaluation of SOP only. Learn in detail about guidelines, format, sample of SOP for Australian Student Visa.
Ques. How is an SOP for Australian student visa different?
Ans. A general statement of purpose includes reasons for your choice of program and study destination, long-term goals, characteristics of your personality, and your experience. In addition to all this, your SOP for student visa entails details of your finances and your clear intention of returning home.
Ques. What should be covered in an SOP for graduate programs in Australian Universities?
Ans. One of the most important aspect that a graduate statement of purpose must cover is your decision of pursuing that particular program. Apart from this, you must also talk about
- Reason why you have applied for the chosen program in this particular university.
- How you will become a part of the applied university's student community?
- What are your future goals or career aspirations.
Ques. What role does a Statement of Purpose (SOP) play in admission decision in Australia?
Ans. Your Statement of Purpose can definitely make or break the chances of securing admission in your dream university. The most pertinent reason behind this is that an SOP is the first communication between the applicant and the admission supervisor. And, it is your chance to convince them about your suitability for the program.
Ques. How should I conclude my SOP for Australian Universities?
Ans. When concluding your SOP focus on highlighting on your achievements and your future plans. Ensure that it is grammatically correct and reflects upon your strong points. You must also include slight description of how the specific university or course can help you grow. It must also highlight on what will you bring as a peer to that specific courses/college/university.