PhD Admission 2022 is based on entrance exams like NET, GPAT, etc, however, there are a few colleges that offer PhD admissions based on merit followed by a personal interview. Universities such as BIT Mesra conduct a written test to offer PhD Admission 2022.
PhD Admission for the academic year 2022 is currently open in several top PhD colleges of India such as XIMB, IIMB, etc. NTA will conduct an entrance exam for PhD admission 2022 at IGNOU; the last date to apply was December 18, 2021. The last date to apply at IIM Bangalore for PhD in Management was January 19, 2022. PhD Admission is still open in several IIMs in India such as IIM Jammu, IIM Raipur, and other top universities such as IIT Delhi, TISS, Mumbai, etc.
PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) is a 3-year research program that extensively deals with research studies in domains such as Humanities / Arts, Science, Engineering, Management, Pharmacy, Mass Communication, Law, Commerce, etc.
To seek admission to the PhD course for the academic year 2022, candidates should have a minimum of 50% aggregate marks or equivalent CGPA score in their master’s degree, along with a valid cut-off score in a national or university level entrance exam and performance in personal interviews and written tests will make you eligible to secure admissions in top PhD Colleges.
Top PhD Colleges: Application Deadline
|IIT Bombay (IITB)||March 2022- April 2022|
|Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore||February 2022- April 2022|
|IIT Delhi||February 2022- March 2022|
|IIT Kharagpur||April 2022|
|University of Delhi||June 2022 – July 2022|
|TISS, Mumbai||March 05 – April 15, 2022|
|IIT Guwahati||February 2022 - March 2022|
|St. Xavier’s College||January 18 – January 25, 2022|
PhD Admission 2022: Important Dates
The table below lists the applications form dates for PhD Admission 2022 in top colleges offering different PhD courses:
|College||Mode of Admission||Application Dates|
|Goa Institute of Management (GIM), North Goa||Entrance||Open Till March 21, 2022|
|IGNOU||Entrance||Open Till February 21, 2022|
|IIM Lucknow||Entrance||December 03 – January 31, 2021|
|IIM Indore||Entrance||January 11 – January 31, 2022|
|IIM Jammu||Entrance||February 14 – April 30. 2022|
|IIM Kashipur||Entrance||January 17 – January 31, 2022|
|IIM Kozhikode||Entrance||January 11 – January 25, 2021|
|IIM Udaipur||Entrance||January 08 – January 28, 2021|
|IIM Raipur||Entrance||December 18, 2021 – February 28, 2022|
|IIM Sirmaur||Entrance||February 04 – March 05, 2022|
|Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT Vellore)||Entrance||To be announced|
|NIT Patna||Entrance||May 2022|
|Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi||Entrance||May - June 2022|
|IIST Thiruvananthapuram||Entrance||November - December 13, 2021|
|IISc Bangalore||Entrance||February to March 2022|
|IISER Trivandrum||Entrance||November 2021 - December 06, 2021|
|Mumbai University||Entrance||January - March 2022|
|NIT Trichy||Entrance||October - November 30, 2021|
|TIFR Mumbai||Written Test & Interview||October 07 - November 08, 2021|
|IIM, Bangalore||Entrance||November - January 19, 2022|
|University of Calcutta||Entrance||April 2022|
|University of Lucknow||CET & Interview||April 2022|
|IIIT Delhi||Written Test & Interview||July 2022|
|IIIT Bangalore||Entrance||To be announced|
|IIT Mandi||Entrance||October 15, 2021 - November 30, 2021|
|PGIMER, Chandigarh||Entrance||April 27, 2021|
|XIMB||Entrance||November - February 28, 2022|
|BIT, Mesra||Entrance||October 28 - November 30, 2021|
|IIT, Jammu||Entrance||November 01 - 15, 2021|
|ILS Bhubaneshwar||Entrance||December 18 – January 10, 2022|
|VSSUT, Odisha||Entrance||December 18 – January 10, 2022|
|GEHU, Dehradun||Entrance||December 22 – December 31, 2021|
|IGNOU||Entrance||December 31 – January 07, 2022|
PhD Admission 2022: Entrance Exams
PhD Admission is done on the basis of an entrance in several universities. Universities accept the scores of either a national-level entrance examination or a university-level entrance exam. The following section highlights the PhD Admission 2022 entrance exam schedule for various accepted PhD entrance exams.
PhD Admission 2022: Entrance Exam Schedule
Different kinds of entrance exams are conducted as PhD courses are offered in various PhD Specializations like Education, Engineering, Mathematics, Engineering, Planning, etc. Exam schedules for the top PhD Entrance Exams in India are given in the below table.
Also Check: PhD Education Entrance Exams
|Entrance Exam||Registration Date||Exam Date|
|IIT JAM||August 25 - October 14, 2021||February 13, 2022|
|GPAT||December 2021 - January 2022||4th Week of February 2022|
|CUCET||March - April 2022||May 2022|
|VITMEE||March - May 2022||June 2022|
|CUSAT CAT||February 08 – April 30, 2022||May 15 – 17, 2022|
National Level PhD Entrance Exams
Some of the national-level PhD entrance exams which are listed in the above table are discussed here.
- Central Universities Common Entrance Tests (CUCET) is a national level examination that is regulated by ten central universities jointly.
- Admission to the central universities is done through this exam for all types of courses like UG, PG, and others.
- The exam is conducted in an offline mode.
- The duration of the exam is 2 hours which consists of Multiple Choice Questions.
- Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test (GPAT) is a national level entrance exam conducted every year for admission to PG Pharmacy and other equivalent courses like Integrated PhD.
- GPAT is conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA).
- The exam is conducted in an online mode.
- The duration of the exam is 3 hours for a total of 500 marks.
Institution Level PhD Entrance Exams
Some of the institution level PhD entrance exams that are conducted specially for the admission of courses offered by those institutions are discussed in this section.
- Vellore Institute of Technology Master’s Entrance Examination (VITMEE) is an institution-level entrance exam that is conducted for admission into the PG courses like M.Tech, MCA, and also admission to the integrated PhD courses.
- It is conducted mainly for the admission to the Vellore Institute of Technology institutions and is conducted every year by the Vellore Institute of Science and Technology.
- The exam is conducted in an online mode.
- The duration of the exam is 2 hours.
PhD Admission 2022: Syllabus
- The syllabus for the PhD courses varies based on the specialization the candidates opt for.
- PhD courses consist of both normal academic classroom sessions and research work.
- The research work plays a major role in PhD courses.
- The structure of a PhD course includes course work, qualifying examination, research proposal preparation and thesis work.
PhD Admission 2022: Entrance Exam Preparation Tips
- Collect previous year entrance exams question papers available through the internet.
- Refer to the syllabus of PhD entrance exam as per the specialization.
- The format of the entrance exam varies depending upon the conducting body and hence be aware of the format to plan accordingly.
- Cover all the topics of the exam at least one month before the commencement of the exam.
- Practice various mock tests available to eliminate the exam pressure.
- Get updated upon the current affairs as it plays a crucial role in getting marks.
- Visit the exam center a day before the exam to avoid the last time confusion of searching the exam center.
- Take a deep sleep before the day of the exam.
- Visit the exam center earlier by 1 hour to avoid traffic congestion.
- Stay calm on the day of the exam.
PhD Admission Process 2022
Admission to the PhD courses is carried out both through merit as well as entrance-based process. The admission process for both courses is explained below along with the basic eligibility criteria.
PhD Admission 2022: Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates must have a Masters’s or a PG degree to pursue a PhD Course.
- The candidates must obtain at least 50 - 55% of marks or grades in the PG course from a recognised university.
- Candidates with work experience in the field of research are highly preferred by universities.
Merit-Based PhD Admission 2022
- Top institutions offer PhD admission through a merit-based process.
- For this, the institute may ask for the candidates to submit the outline of the research proposal.
- This is done mainly for scrutinizing the candidates and the selected candidates are notified after the process.
- Also, the candidates should fulfill the basic eligibility of 50 - 55% of marks in the PG course.
Entrance Exam Based PhD Admission 2022
- National wise and institution wise entrance exams are conducted for the admission of PhD courses.
- Some institutions even organize personal interviews along with the entrance exams for the admission of PhD courses.
PhD Admissions 2022: FAQs
Ques. Why should we enroll for a PhD Admission in 2022?
Ans. PhD is a very honorable degree in India. Earning a PhD degree is very useful to the candidates as it also plays a major role in boosting up the salary along with a promotion in a job if the candidate is in the teaching field.
Ques. What is the process of PhD admission 2022?
Ans. PhD Admission Process is done by two methods. Some universities offer PhD Admission 2022 on the basis of merit in which the admission is done depending upon the marks of the candidates in the PG degree. The other one is based on entrance where the admission is done through the marks scored by the candidates in the entrance exam.
Ques. Is there any age limit to do a PhD course?
Ans. There is no specific age limit for PhD courses. It can be pursued at any age but the candidate should satisfy the eligibility criteria.
Ques. What is a Direct PhD?
Ans. Direct PhD is a program that can be done immediately after completing a B.Tech degree. There is no need to complete a master’s degree. It is devised mainly for the students who want to pursue a career in the research field. It is now being offered in IIT institutions like IIT Madras.
Ques. Is a direct PhD advisable in India? Can a candidate apply for an assistant professor post after that in India?
Ans. Direct PhD is indeed available in India. But if a candidate wishes to go into the teaching profession then the normal PhD program will be the best option rather than the direct PhD program.