Miranda House, New Delhi is a top-ranking college for women affiliated under Delhi University. The college has an excellent team of faculties across all departments, especially, the Humanities and Social Science division which has 13 departments and is supposed to be the best among all other DU colleges. Miranda House offers courses in Science and Liberal Arts and admission is granted based on the merit obtained as per the cut-off percent decided by the University of Delhi.
Lady Edwina Mountbatten established Miranda House in 1948 with the purpose of promoting women’s higher education. NIRF 2021 has ranked it at the 1st position in India. The college has been accredited Grade A+ with 3.61 CGPA.
Miranda House offers several Undergraduate and Postgraduate courses under different specializations. The college also offers Foreign Language courses, Short Duration Certificate courses, Add-on courses, Remedial courses and Bridge courses, each offering specialization in various subjects.
For UG courses in Miranda House, candidates need to qualify a 10+2 level exam in the relevant subjects (depending on the choice of course) with a specified percent of marks. Admission is granted on merit basis. For PG courses candidates need to qualify Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant discipline. Admission for the PG courses is based on merit and DUET PG scores.
Several career counselling and campus recruitment drives are organized by the Placement Cell team set of Miranda House. Every year numerous reputed companies visit the campus to participate in the placement drives and offer lucrative job opportunities to the enthusiastic students of the college. The esteemed recruiters include Outlook, Thomson Reuters, ICICI Bank, IDBI Federal, Accenture, Decathlon, TATA, Yes Bank and many more.
Miranda House provides scholarship programmes for meritorious students and for those coming from financially weak backgrounds. The college also provides excellent facilities to students such as, hostels, libraries, labs, good quality food, etc.
Miranda House Quick Facts
- Miranda House is ranked as the #1 College in India by NIRF 2021.
- It is the oldest college and was set up with the purpose of promoting women’s higher education.
- The Humanities and Social Sciences division of Miranda House is considered to be the best among all other DU colleges.
- The college has been accredited Grade A+ with 3.61 CGPA by NAAC.
- The admission criteria in Miranda House is based on merit as per the Cut off percent decided by DU.
- Apart from UG and PG courses the college also offers several Foreign Language courses, Short Duration Certificate courses, Add-on courses, Remedial courses and Bridge courses.
- The college provides digital talking signage to help the visually impaired students so that they can easily locate their way within the college campus.
Miranda House Cut Off 2021
The Miranda house offers various undergraduate (B.A., B.A.(H), B.Sc. etc.) and postgraduate (M.A., M.Sc.) courses. The candidate has to score the required cutoff in the Delhi University Entrance Exam for taking admission into the Miranda House.
The cutoff 2021 for UG courses is given below:
|Course||1st Cut-off 2021 (Gen)||2nd Cut-off 2021 (Gen)||3rd Cut-off 2021 (Gen)||Special Cutoff 2021 (Gen)||4th Cutoff 2021 (Gen)||5th Cutoff 2021 (Gen)||Special Drive Cutoff 2021 (Gen)||2nd Special Drive Cutoff 2021 (Gen)|
|BA (Hons) Economics||99.50%||99.00%||Closed||99%||98.75%||Closed||Closed||Closed|
|BA (Hons) English||99%||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed|
|BA (Hons) Political Science||99.75%||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed|
|BA (Hons) Sociology||98.75%||98.50||98.25%||98.25%||98%||97.75%||Closed||Closed|
|BSc (Hons) Chemistry||97.33%||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed|
|BSc (Hons) Mathematics||98.75%||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed|
Miranda House Rankings & Accreditations
- Ranked 1 by NIRF Ranking 2021 for the Overall Category
- Ranked 1 by Outlook Ranking 2021 for Science Stream
- Ranked 2 by Outlook Ranking 2021 for Arts Stream
- Ranked 3 by India Today Ranking 2021 for the Arts Stream
- Ranked 2 by India Today Ranking 2021 for the Science Stream
- Ranked 3 by The Week Ranking 2021for the Science Stream
- Ranked 5 by The Week Ranking 2021 for the Arts Stream
- Accredited Grade A+ with 3.61 CGPA by NAAC
Read More: Miranda House Rankings
Miranda House Courses & Fees
Miranda House offers several UG and PG courses in Science and Liberal Arts. Each course has multiple specializations. All the courses along with the necessary details are provided in a nutshell in a tabular format:
|Course||Course Detail||Selection Criteria|
|B.A Programme||Duration - 3 Years
Eligibility - 10+2 level exam with a minimum of 40% marks
Fees - INR 42,480
|BA (Hons.)||Duration - 3 Years
Eligibility - 10+2 level exam with a minimum of 40 - 45 % marks in aggregate & 50% marks in 1 Language & 3 Academic subjects
Fees - INR 42,480
|BA (Hons.) Music||Duration - 3 Years
Eligibility - 10+2 level exam with 45% aggregate marks
Fees - INR 43,680
|B.Sc (Hons.)||Duration - 3 Years
Eligibility - 10+2 level exam with 55% marks in PCB or PCB/BT & one compulsory subject with 50% marks
Fees - INR 59,400
|B.Sc (P)||Duration - 3 Years
Eligibility - 10+2 level exam with 45% marks in PCB/BT or,
(a) 60% or more marks in Mathematics,
(b) 55% or more marks in aggregate in any 4 subjects that includes Mathematics, 1 Language & 2 other Academic subjects
Fees - INR 58,470
|B.El.Ed||Duration - 4 Years
Eligibility - 10+2 level exam
Fees - INR 76,000
|DUET UG scores|
|MA||Duration - 2 Years
Eligibility - Bachelor’s Degree in relevant discipline
Fees - INR 29,060
|DUET PG scores/ Merit Based|
|M.Sc||Duration - 3 Years
Eligibility - Bachelor’s Degree in relevant discipline
Fees - INR 32,340
Read More: Miranda House Courses & Fees
Miranda House Admission
Admission in Miranda House is granted on the basis of 10+2 level exam marks. As per the schedule and guidelines issued by DU, the Cut off percentage is announced by the college for admission to various courses. The Cut off percentage is declared on the official website of the college and University. Selection is purely based on merit. Eligibility verification is done by filling the Miranda House Pre-Admission Form for a particular department. Candidates applying through Extracurricular Activities and Sports Quota will be offered a relaxation of 5% after trials and auditions, by Miranda House.
Read More: Miranda House Admission
Miranda House Placements
Miranda House has a dedicated active and responsive placement cell who work towards providing excellent placement opportunities to students of the college. The placement cell serves as the primary foundation in governing the career aspirations of the students of the college through collaboration between several stakeholders. The college has many tie ups with reputed companies from various sectors who participate in the placement drives and offer jobs in different profiles with handsome remuneration.
The highest annual package offered during placement drive 2020 was INR 18 LPA and the average package was INR 7.33 LPA. Few of the top companies participating in Miranda House placement drive are:
|Aam Aadmi Party||D E Shaw & Co||Outlook||Thomson Reuters|
|ICICI Bank||IDBI Federal||The Oberoi Group||Ramkrishna Mission|
|Urban Clap||Yes Bank||Zee Media||BRICS CCI|
|Accenture||Decathlon||McKinsey & Company||Tata Motors|
Read More: Miranda House Placements
Miranda House Scholarship
Miranda House College being a part of DU, has made provisions for several scholarship programmes for meritorious and financially underprivileged students. Some of the scholarship programmes for the UG courses are listed below:
- University of Delhi Women’s Association Scholarship:This scholarship is awarded to 2 meritorious and underprivileged students who are daughters of Indian soldiers and have qualified the 10+2 level exam from Delhi Central Board.
- Shri Uggersain Memorial Endowment Scholarship: This particular scholarship is awarded to the first year students qualifying from the Delhi Central Board with 1st division marks. Also, their parent’s monthly income should not be more than INR 1000.
- Shri Balak Ram Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to the first year Mathematics student, with an outstanding academic track record. Also, their parent’s monthly income should not be more than INR 500.
- All India Entrance Scholarship: This Scholarship is awarded to 50 students for a 3 year Honours degree course. An amount of INR 250 is given to such students on a monthly basis.
Read More: Miranda House Scholarship Reviews
Miranda House Facilities
- Hostel: Miranda House provides hostel accommodation for outstation students on twin sharing basis. Additionally, there are 4 rooms available in the form of a 4 seater arrangement. Each room is fully furnished including a single bed with storage box, drawer and a fitted mattress. The other occupants of the room include a bedside table, dresser, cupboard, study desk, wall mounted bookcase and chair. Other hostel facilities are dining hall, reading room, common room with television set, DTH connection and a home theatre, WiFi connection and many more.
- Library: The Miranda House has a technologically advanced, well-stocked, well-equipped and user-friendly library with more than 1,00,000 books, 43,270 e-journals and 100 databases in stock. The library is divided into 3 levels with 6 special sections such as, Textbook, General Books, Reference Tools, Reserves, Periodicals and Braille Books. Also there are numerous periodicals and magazines which are circulated automatedly by Libsys.
Access to DULS and important databases like N-LIST and INFLIBNET are also provided by the library which gives access to 97,000 and above e-books and 6000 e-journals to students and faculty staff. Miranda House has linked with various other renowned Library Resource Centers like, American Center Library, British Council Library and DELNET. This has ensured members to access e-resources from other library systems. The library also has 2 Digital resource Centers. One which can be accessed by all users for e-resources has 30 computers. The other one is known as the Amba Dalmia Digital Resource Center (ADDRC) and it is meant for the visually challenged members wherein the library organizes a special Orientation Programme for such students. Besides desktops loaded with assistive software such as Jaws, Safa, Lekha, and taking typewriter, printers and audio recording equipment, it also consists of Braille Embosser and Lex Scanner.
- Fitness Center: To cater with the fitness regime of students and staff, Miranda House provides a fitness center within the campus. The fitness center has equipment for weight and cardio training.
- Cafeterias: Miranda House has an exquisitely designed cafeteria with furniture that are custom designed. The cafeteria serves fresh and hygienically prepared food to students and staff of the college. The water used for cooking and drinking comes from the hostel RO Water Purification Plant.
The college also has 2 food kiosks, the Nescafe kiosk and the Pizza and More (PAM) kiosk which are quite popular among the students. A Quick Bite kiosk is at the college main gate. The Night Dhaba operated by the canteen vendor satiates sudden hunger pangs for the hostel students from 9 pm to 11 pm.
- Medical Facility: Miranda House has a Medical Support Unit within the hostel.this facility is also shared by the college. The Medical Support Unit is associated with DU's World University Service (WUS) Health Centre which is situated at V. P. Patel Chest Institute and at a short distance from Miranda House. Students of the college visit WUS to treat basic ailments. A neighbouring hospital Nu Life provides physicians for the in-house medical unit of the college which includes a doctor for 3 days a week and a nurse for 6 days a week. The medical center also has a stock of medicines for common illnesses like, fever, pain, allergy, asthma, etc.
The college also has an emergency Sick Room. It has 2 medical beds and 1 attendant bed and other medical equipment like Oxygen Cylinder, BP Machine, Glocometer, Nebulizer, Glucose Drip, etc.
Miranda House FAQs
Ques. Can I change my GE option after the first semester at Miranda House?
Ans. No. At Miranda House, students are encouraged to follow the following format: to study the same GE for all the four semesters or to study GEs in the 2 + 2 format i.e. 2 GEs from one Department and the next two GEs from another Department.
Ques. Is there a stream change deduction in terms of percentage at Miranda House? If yes, how much?
Ans. No, there is no deduction for the stream change. Subject not studied, if it is included in best of four, there will be a deduction as notified by the University (for detailed instructions wait for University Admission Bulletin)
Ques. Does Miranda House add 1% for girl students as prescribed by Delhi University?
Ans. No. Miranda House doesn't have any such provision. This only applies to the Co-educational colleges.
Ques. What’s Miranda House’s Infrastructure like?
Ans. Miranda House has a beautiful building with modern facilities. The college has a strong IT backbone. The library has the most advanced digital facilities.The science departments have sprawling wings and large state-of-art laboratories with multiple sets required for teaching large classes and additionally, advanced level equipment for projects and research work, rarely found in UG institutions.
Ques. What is the required eligibility for the B.Sc Mathematics admission at Miranda House?
Ans. Candidates applying to this course are required to pass 10+2 in CBSE or an equivalent with a minimum of 55% marks with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.