IIM Ahmedabad is India’s best business school and has been featured twice at first slot in the NIRF- rated Top Management Colleges in India in last three years. IIM Ahmedabad’s most popular program is PGP (equivalent to MBA), followed by the one-year MBA program a.k.a MBA PGPX. Apart from this, IIMA also offers PhD, ePGD in Advanced Business Analytics. IIM Ahmedabad introduced changes to its MBA Admission Policy 2022 by removing graduation score from the final selection criteria. IIM Ahmedabad MBA Admission process is ongoing now. Going by the past trends, IIM Ahmedabad is expected to induct more Women and Non-Engineer candidates. For MBA batch 2021, the total number of non-engineers increased by 28% from the previous representation of 24%. The PGP 2021 batch has a female representation of 28% which is expected to increase further for the academic year 2022-24. Read More IIM Ahmedabad Course & Fees
The PGP Student Exchange Program of IIM Ahmedabad is also a big hit, where each year, around 150 students go abroad and 90 students come to India to study at IIMA. Each year, the college selects a quarter of second-year students to spend one academic term at premier institutions around the world. Apart from the regular PGP/ MBA program IIM Ahmedabad also offer a double degree program for which the college has partnered with six international institutions i.e ESSEC Business School France, HEC France, University of Bocconi, Italy, European Business School, Germany, University of Cologne, Germany, and ESCP Europe France. IIM Ahmedabad is a member of PIM (Partnership in International Management), which is a consortium of leading business schools in the world. PIM facilitates the development of joint programs, students and faculty exchange, Joint research & cooperation among its 60 members institutions. Know More About IIM Ahmedabad MBA Admissions 2022
New in IIM Ahmedabad: IIM Ahmedabad has recently concluded Placements 2022, conducted in 3 clusters with all students being placed across 20 cohorts. For MBA, a total of 220 offers were rolled out by 190 firms. Boston Consulting Group made the most, i.e a total of 47 offers followed by Accenture with 32 offers. For PGP FABM, 46 students were placed under some of the top industry giants such as- BCG, Nomura, Ola, Samsung Electronics, CK Birla Group, Accenture, American Express, Arthur D. Little, Avendus, Bain & Co, Citi, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, and etc. Know more
IIM Ahmedabad’s incubator cum accelerator arm, Centre for Innovation Incubation & Entrepreneurship (CIIE), is now planning to launch a new climate tech fund with a target corpus of $100 million. The fund is a follow-up to its maiden fund, Infuse Ventures focused on the sustainability & Clean energy sector in India. IIM Ahmedabad has also partnered with Bank of America to set up a Centre of Digital Transformation (CDT) and aspires to become a knowledge hub for academia, policymaking, and the private sector by facilitating cutting-edge technology. Apart from this, the institution has signed an MoU with Homi Bhaba National Institute (HBNI) to provide a custom-designed “Sarabhai Management development program” for senior executives of DAE (Department of Atomic Energy), HBNI. Also Check Do IIM Ahmedabad students get the highest package in the world on an average?
IIM Ahmedabad Quick Facts
- Batch Diversity: In the newly inducted of MBA 2021, women comprise 28 percent of the total class size, which is six percent higher than last year’s 22 percent. In PGP-FABM 2021 batch, 9% more women joined than the 34 percent recorded in 2021. The male candidates in PGP 2021 are 72% and for PGP FABM male candidates are 57%.
- Ranking: IIM Ahmedabad is popularly known for its oldest, flagship PGP (MBA) program. It is ranked #20 by Financial Times for Masters in Management globally. The college has also been awarded Best Agribusiness School Award 2021, for its MBA-FABM course. Check IIM Ahmedabad Ranking.
- Degree: MBA degree instead of a PG Diploma is conferred after the IIM Act of 2007 was implemented. And, this degree is recognised internationally.
- Fees: IIM Ahmedabad fee for MBA in total is INR 23 Lakh and financial aids ranging INR 3 LPA to INR 4 LPA are offered to students. Check IIM Ahmedabad Scholarships
- Faculty: The faculty of IIM Ahmedabad have an average work experience of 10-20 years in MNCs and in study research. Check Out IIM Ahmedabad Faculty Details
- Placements: IIM Ahmedabad Placements 2022 are ongoing now. The college has finished cluster 3 placements where UnDosTres was the largest recruiter. The highest number of offers have been made by the FinTech Firms. The third cluster comprised of eight cohorts: Analytics & IT Consulting, Banking Insurance, Consumer Tech, Core Manufacturing & Infrastructure, Enterprises Tech, Financial Services, FinTech & Government Enterprises. Check IIM Ahmedabad Placement Report
- 388 students accepted offers from 153 recruiters.
- Highest CTC: INR 58.88 (domestic) / INR 1.32 Cr (international)
- Average CTC: INR 26.13 (gone up from INR 25.83 LPA in 2021)
- MBA Selection Criteria: CAT 2021 got 25% weightage and 5% to Work Experience and a huge chunk of 60% weightage has been assigned to PI-AWT in final Shortlisting. For MBA 2022 Admission minimum sectional & overall cut off required is 70 and 80 percentile respectively.
The best thing about MBA course is that a student from any field, be it science, commerce or arts, can pursue this 2 year masters degree course.
IIM Ahmedabad Ranking
|Financial Times Ranking 2022||62|
|QS World University Rankings 2022||46|
|FT (Financial Times) Global MBA Ranking 2021||48|
|QS Global MBA Ranking 2021||50|
|Outlook India I-CARE Management 2021||1|
|Eduniversal Best Masters Ranking in Agribusiness/ Food Industry Management 2021||1|
|Business Today 2021 (Overall)||2|
Quick Link: How to Prepare for AWT & PI for IIM Ahmedabad
IIM Ahmedabad Courses
Following are the courses offered by the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad under various specializations and levels:
|Program||Program Details||Selection Basis|
|Post Graduate Program in Management (MBA)||Duration: 2 years
Fees: INR 23 Lakhs
Eligibility: Candidates should score 50% in bachelor's OR professional degree qualifications.
|CAT scores + AWT + PI|
|Post Graduate Program in Food & Agri-Business Management (MBA-FABM)||Duration: 2 years
Fees: INR 21.5 Lakhs
Eligibility: Candidates should have 50% in Agriculture Sciences degree or equivalent CGPA.
|Executive Post Graduate Program (MBA-PGPx)||Duration: 1 year
Fees: INR 28 Lakhs
Eligibility: A bachelors degree in a relevant discipline + work experience
|GMAT score + PGPMX Aptitude Test + 5-year working experience|
|PhD||Duration: 3-5 years (Full time)
Stipend: INR 30,000 per month
Eligibility: Masters in a relevant discipline.
|CAT / GRE / GMAT or JRF in some fields|
|ePost Graduate Program (ePGP)||Duration: 2 years
Fees: INR 20 Lakhs
Eligibility: Graduation + 3 years of Full-time Work Experience
|CAT / GRE / GMAT Score + PI|
|Faculty Development Program (FDP)||Fees: INR 30,680
Eligibility: Teaching Experience in Management of at least 2 years
|ePGD in Advanced Business Analytics (ePGD-ABA)||Duration: 16 months
Fees: INR 10 Lakhs
Eligibility: Graduation + 2 years of Full-time Work Experience
|CAT / GRE / GMAT / GATE + PI|
Click here IIM Ahmedabad Courses & Fees
IIM Ahmedabad Batch Profile 2021
IIM Ahmedabad made new records in terms of Academic Background in the present batch of 2021-22. The number of Arts graduates increased to 5% than the previous year figures. Whereas lesser number of Science and Commerce graduates could grab the seat for the MBA program in IIM Ahmedabad. Out of the total seats, 18% and 1% of students belonged to Commerce and Science background. Keeping up with the trend, Engineering graduates hit 76% of the total occupancy in the program.
IIM Ahmedabad Placements 2022
IIM Ahmedabad Placements 2022 is in progress. Cluster 3 of the 2022 placement drive has been completed on February 14, 2022 where UnDosTres was the largest recruiter. During the cluster 2 process, Tata Administrative Services (TAS) made the highest number of domestic offers & Emaar made the highest number of international offers. During the cluster 1, Boston Consulting Group (BCG) played the dominating role with 46 offers including PPOs. Here are the cluster-wise placement data of 2021:
IIM Ahmedabad Placement 2021 for many reasons was important due to Covid induced economic crisis, go through the important highlights of the season this year. For Details Check IIM Ahmedabad Placement Report
- From the batch of 388 students, 369 accepted offers from domestic firms and 19 received International offers all from South and Middle East Asia.
- The maximum offer made this year was of 55.88 LPA INR for the consulting role.
- The Median Salary was 25 LPA with guaranteed cash component of 22.5 LPA.
- Consulting firms led the rally by making 129 offers with an average 23 LPA CTC followed by BFSI sector firms hiring 61 students at 20 LPA average.
IIM Ahmedabad Summer Internship Placements 2023
- 50 recruiters were registered to participate in the summer internships of batch 2023.
- 76 offers were made in the Cluster 1 placements.
- BCG made the maximum number of offers (26) followed by kearney (24).
IIM Ahmedabad Scholarships
The institute endeavors to help deserving candidates in pursuing management studies. The following are scholarship schemes are offered at IIMA:
- IIMA Special Need-Based Scholarship: Offered to those students whose family income is below INR 15 Lakhs in the previous financial year. IIMA only approves for scholarship to student once background checks and other related conditions are satisfied.
- SC/ST Scholarships: Students belonging to these categories are awarded INR 150 for 10 months straight, provided they are enrolled in a PG degree at IIMA.
- IIMA Exit Scholarships: A monthly stipend of INR 30,000 is awarded to those students who graduate to become entrepreneurs. While those who join Non-Profit- Organisations are awarded INR 3-4 Lakhs per student per year, for three consecutive years.
Industry Scholarships (need-based):
- Aditya Birla Group Scholarships: 03 meritorious students from PGP I and II years are awarded INR 1.75 Lakhs per annum per student. The selection is purely upon the discretion of member evaluating from Aditya Birla Group.
- OP Jindal Engineering and Management Scholarship: Either one or even two students from PGP second year are selected for this scholarship. The award is of INR 1.5 Lakhs per student for that year. Selection is upon dicretion of the members evaluating.
Other Scholarships facilitated by the IIM Ahmedabad include scholarships awarded by various State governments to students from their states.
Check: IIM Ahmedabad Scholarships
IIM Ahmedabad Faculty
IIM Ahmedabad is center of academic excellence and has hosted top faculties from India for its students. Since inception in 1961 by the renowned scientist Vikram Sarabhai, three RBI Governors have taught here. IIM Ahmedabad has a long practice of inviting guest faculty who are leaders in their respective industry few to be noted from existing pool are Vijay Govindarajan, author of bestselling book “Thinkers50”, Jayanth Verma Member of Monetary Policy of India, Anil Kumar Gupta, a Padma Shree awarded management educationist.
The Faculty: Student ratio of IIM Ahmedabad is 1:5, slightly higher than IIM Bangalore’s ratio of 1:4. As per few media reports IIMs are struggling from shrinking teaching talent pool and the IIMs keep rotating same talent at the senior level and the lower level largely consists of Indians who have earned their Ph.D from the campuses in the US and Europe.
Reviews of IIM Ahmedabad at Collegedunia are very positive and scores 8.9/10 for Faculty rating.
IIM Ahmedabad Alumni & Popular Startups
More than 30,000 candiates has graduated IIM Ahmedabad till date from its establishment in 1962. Some of the Notable Alumni of IIM Ahmedabad are as follows:
- C.K Prahalad: A Padma Shri Awardee, former professor at University of Michigan Ross School of Business and Author of The fortune at the Bottom of Pyramid.
- Srikant Datar – Dean at Haward Business School.
- Raghuram Rajan – Former Governor of Reserve Bank of India, Former Chief Economic Advisor to Government of India.
- Arvind Subramanian – 16th Chief Economic Advisor to Governemnt of India
- Sushil Vachani – Former Director of IIM Bangalore
- Shekhar Chaudhuri – Former Director, IIM Calcutta
- Chetan Bhagat – Author, Columnist and Speaker
- Deep Kalra – Founder of Makemytrip.
Most popular startups of IIM Ahmedabad Alumni are
- MakeMy Trip
- Go Mechanic
IIM Ahmedabad FAQs
Ques. Will I get a confirmed seat in IIM Ahmedabad with 99 percentile?
Ans. To get admitted into any IIMs including IIM Ahmedabad, the minimum CAT 2021 cutoff is expected to be a minimum 90 percentile. Those who have secured the 99+ percentile in CAT 2021 may apply to top IIMs like IIM Bangalore, IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Lucknow, IIM Calcutta, and IIM Kozhikode.
Ques. How much academic CGPA is required for the IIM Ahmedabad profile shortlist?
Ans. For IIM Ahmedabad, The candidate must hold a bachelor's degree, with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA (in case of the candidate belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC)/Scheduled Tribe (ST)/Persons with Disabilities (PwD) category, this is relaxed to 45%), the academic weightage for class X is 10% for minimum or greater than 90% marks.
Ques. Will I be getting a Master’s Degree or Diploma upon successful completion of the IIM Ahmedabad Executive PGP program?
Ans. e-Mode Post Graduate Programme (ePGP) in Management is a two-year post graduate programme with added flexibility of completion in 3 years, leading to awarding "Master of Management Studies (eLearning Mode)", offered on Virtual Interactive Learning Platform (VILP) platform. Upon successful completion of ePGP Programme at IIM Ahmedabad, the institute provides a Master's Degree to its students instead of a diploma degree.
Ques. Is there any programme offered by IIM Ahmedabad which I can do without leaving my job?
Ans. Yes, The ePGD-ABA is a 16 months' diploma programme offered by IIM Ahmedabad. delivered through a blend of online and on-campus class room sessions. Given that this programme is meant for working professionals, the classes will be held on Weekends and public holidays.This format is to help you advance your career while working.
Ques. What is the pedagogy at PGPX in IIM Ahmedabad?
Ans. IIM Ahmedabad encourages all its students to indulge in rigorous case study analyses in the classrooms. They take into account all sorts of issues to held them be equipped with vigorous tasks at hand and otherwise. Games and role plays, meditation, field trips, international exposure, and various exercises are also incorporated in the programme so that learning is not limited to books. The course consists of 700 hours of classroom sessions and requires another 1500 hours of group and self study sessions. The groups are created such that students are able to cooperate and work with other students from diverse educational, cultural, and professional backgrounds.
Ques. Is 4 hours of sleep really synonymous to IIM Ahmedabad?
Ans. It’s a very common belief that once you join IIM A, you’ll forget what a healthy amount of sleep really is. And it is true to some extent. Once you enter IIM A, you’ll realise that you are just a small fish in a big pond, and that there are SHARKS around. In order to survive the pressure of cut throat competition, surprise quizzes, the case methodology and tiring classes, you’ll definitely be sacrificing your precious sleep. But the negligible sleep equation that comes with IIM Ahmedabad would only remain till the first term because that’s the most stressful one and that’s actually a good news since after that you’ll easily adapt to the environment of this prestigious institution and probably be able to fix your sleeping schedule and your time management skills.
Ques. What is the value of an MBA from IIM Ahmedabad as opposed to Harvard?
Ans. IIM A was established in 1961 while Harvard was established in 1636. Comparison between a 60 year old institution and an institution that is 400 year old is not really very sensible. There’s a vast difference between both of these institutions and the countries they are located in, the diversity, the history and also their economy.
However, there are some differences that can be noted. The first is obviously their age, and the second one is that the educational fee of Harvard is almost 4 times that of IIM Ahmedabad. Uh oh, bummer. Whether you pass out of Harvard or from IIM Ahmedabad, your landing into the most prestigious companies like Goldman Sachs, P&G, JP Morgan is confirmed as long as you work hard. Basically, in terms of opportunities IIM Ahmedabad stands eye to eye with Harvard even after the age difference and that’s really commendable.
Ques. Is the net opportunity cost of MBA from IIM Ahmedabad really worth it?
Ans. The first thing that comes into mind when a person decides to pursue MBA from IIM Ahmedabad is whether it is worth the money you are investing in pursuing this degree. That's not the only criteria to base your decision on but it's still an important one. To evaluate the cost of MBA, opportunity cost method is used by most of the people, which is, in simple language, the cost of ‘not taking the next best alternative’. The opportunity costs as well as total costs for doing an MBA from IIM Ahmedabad soar really high. The opportunity cost gets higher with prior experience and the total cost could be around 25-50 lakhs. However, the learning, experience and the environment that IIM Ahmedabad provides cannot be priced. Every penny you spend on it would be worth it.
Ques. How is the infrastructure of IIM Ahmedabad?
Ans. At IIM Ahmedabad, your life usually revolves around seminar halls and library. The campus is built on an area of 102–106 acres having two distinct identities called an old campus and a new campus. Both the campuses are connected with a well-lit tunnel which has a number of pictures giving a glimpse of the rich IIM Ahmedabad heritage. The IIM Ahmedabad campus has a world class infrastructure with greenery all around, a good wi-fi connection, a well stacked library giving access to the best online global journals, air-conditioned classes etc. The Louis Khan Plaza has become the centre of life for mostly all major events that take place in the institute.
IIM Ahmedabad has a very well-equipped library called the Vikram Sarabhai Library (VSL) which is named after Dr. Vikram Sarabhai, the founding director of IIM Ahmedabad and a world renowned physicist. Set up in 1962, this library is known to be one of the best management libraries in Asia. The library is open at any time of the day as its aim is to facilitate user friendly and convenient access to relevant current global information by acquiring, identifying, organizing and retrieving information in various formats.
Ques. What are some of the facilities for students in the campus of IIM Ahmedabad?
Ans. Amphitheatre style air-conditioned classrooms with full connectivity, computers, projectors, screens and wireless public address system, printers, chairs, lockers are some of the facilities provided in all classrooms. The whole campus is equipped with Wi-Fi/LAN connectivity. There is a fully air-conditioned gymnasium for fitness enthusiasts and for indoor players, there are a lot of sports facilities such as badminton, basketball, and football courts. Food options include vegetarian and non-vegetarian meals. There is also a snacks counter, dance pit, lounge in the Student Activity Block (SAB).
Ques. Which student profiles in IIM Ahmedabad have a low placement rate?
Ans. The students who are not sure about their career aspirations and have a low profile are the most common examples who find it difficult to secure a campus placement. Further, the students who only possess technical knowledge with no exposure and prior experience in management fields are also withdrawn from the placement drives. Participants should get a couple of years of experience in a variety of new roles to be preferred more before they apply to the PGPX. This prior experience will help their career prospects be worthwhile and will definitely elevate their PGPX experience.
Ques. How is IIM Ahmedabad different from other IIMs?
Ans. IIM Ahmedabad delves into the case pedagogy by putting individuals into the decision maker’s shoes so that they can see for themselves what the problem is and can successfully tackle the same. This way of teaching business is a strong point of IIM Ahmedabad and strikes a contrast from other IIMs. Secondly, IIM Ahmedabad has a higher cut-off than other IIMs so it seems like the most lucrative option for most students unless they have a problem commuting. Thirdly, IIM Ahmedabad has a world-famous faculty that makes decisions related to the institute. Since most of the faculty members are IIM Ahmedabad alumni, they have a better sense of what the needs of the institution are.
Ques. What scholarships are available at IIM Ahmedabad?
Ques. Is CAT score compulsory for IIM Ahmedabad EPGP?
Ques. What are the courses offered by IIM Ahmedabad?
Ans. IIM Ahmedabad offers PGP in Management (now MBA), MBA in Food and Agri-Business Management (MBA-FABM), Armed Forces Program, Faculty Development Program and Executive PGP in Management. Check IIMA Courses.